Do You Remember Fireball Roberts?
Sometimes we connect;
unexpected moments of touching.
I think you never remember
the pain of a young girl who knew.
I remember. I still know.
My own mother looked away.
We sit quiet today.
Too much has happened for discussions.
I am seeing a day in my twelfth year.
It was a Thursday in July.
I had written something just for you, Mama.
You put it aside. Read later.
Unread, it sat.
I threw it crumbled into the fireplace
a week later.
It was the same day that race car driver died.
Who was he?
A dangerous name, an explosive ending.
Oh well. Leave it.
We are what we are.
Today, memories can sit quiet.
Neither of us has spoken;
I wonder where your thoughts are walking.
You stir suddenly and look me square.
You speak slowly, with an unsure voice;
'Do you remember Fireball Roberts? '
Somewhere, in the shadows of my past,
A twelve year old girl has been seen,
forty-two years later.
© Shirley Alexander
Shirley Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Do You Remember Fireball Roberts? by Shirley Alexander )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Dreaded Sleep, Michael P. McParland
- Don't Say, I Said, Michael P. McParland
- it is Not My Business To See Who A Catho.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- This situation, hasmukh amathalal
- 'Poetry is a triangular art', Pranab K. Chakraborty
- What have I Given To This Life, What Has.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- At least, SALINI NAIR
- Just another Christmas, Christopher Tye
- Tune Metallic, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Don't Say Goodbye, Michael P. McParland