Prayer unsaid, and mass unsung, Deadman's dirge must still be rung:
Dingle-dong, the dead-bells sound! Mermen chant his dirge around!
Wash him bloodless, smooth him fair, Stretch his limbs, and sleek his hair
Dingle-dong, the dead-bells go! Mermen swing them to and fro!
In the wormless sand shall he Feast for no foul glutton be:
Dingle-dong, the dead-bells chime! Mermen keep the tone and time!
We must with a tombstone brave Shut the shark out from his grave
Dingle-dong, the dead-bells toll! Mermen dirgers ring his knoll!
Such a slab will we lay o'er him All the dead shall rise before him!
Dingle-dong, the dead-bells boom! Mermen lay him in his tomb!
George Darley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dirge by George Darley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Men, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Gravestone Tanka, Chenou Liu
- Casted Caught And Casted, Susan Lacovara
- Quiet White, Susan Lacovara
- A Synthetic Poet in the Webs., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- Lemons, Maylee Bossy
- Rhino, Jonathan Walker
- The devil Is For Real, Phyllis Strong
- Creative Souls, Anthony Daniels
- Awaken My Heart, Anthony Daniels
- Joyful Heart, Anthony Daniels