I don't know what you're thinking
I can't read what's on their minds
People stared as I kept walking
They don't know how to turn the volume down
I guessed they must've forgotten I'm human too
With their words slicing like knives
All they talk about is how I'm different
As if my existence can't be define as life
Physically and mentally, I've been hurt
But don't preach me wrong
Don't draw a line between me and other people
Just to make me feel more alone
If we'd switched positions, would you still be laughing now?
Or would you be crying like I did anyway?
Would you be able to understand how it felt?
When nobody treats you the same?
If I am different then what is normal?
Perhaps your definition of 'equal' isn't like mine
Maybe you don't know what you're doing
Whether it's right or wrong
'Don't judge a book by it's cover'
Haven't you heard this saying before?
I'm still a person like you inside
Even though we don't share some common things
So don't tell me that I'm mistaken
You haven't heard me spoke at all
And when I do, I'll make it loud
However, will it be loud to make you listen?
I just want you to realize that everyone is different
However there are ways we can be the same
By getting to know one person
You can take away their pain
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Different by Socheata Mok )
Did you read them?
- Haiku- Anchor, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Luna Plena, Mihaela Pirjol
- I Sink Inside You, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Buddy, Francie Lynch
- Love (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- some thing about you, akash mazumdar
- Shanghai breeze (I), Cigeng Zhang
- thinkings, akash mazumdar
- Momentous Days, Francie Lynch
- Haiku- Riddle, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)