I don't know what you're thinking
I can't read what's on their minds
People stared as I kept walking
They don't know how to turn the volume down
I guessed they must've forgotten I'm human too
With their words slicing like knives
All they talk about is how I'm different
As if my existence can't be define as life
Physically and mentally, I've been hurt
But don't preach me wrong
Don't draw a line between me and other people
Just to make me feel more alone
If we'd switched positions, would you still be laughing now?
Or would you be crying like I did anyway?
Would you be able to understand how it felt?
When nobody treats you the same?
If I am different then what is normal?
Perhaps your definition of 'equal' isn't like mine
Maybe you don't know what you're doing
Whether it's right or wrong
'Don't judge a book by it's cover'
Haven't you heard this saying before?
I'm still a person like you inside
Even though we don't share some common things
So don't tell me that I'm mistaken
You haven't heard me spoke at all
And when I do, I'll make it loud
However, will it be loud to make you listen?
I just want you to realize that everyone is different
However there are ways we can be the same
By getting to know one person
You can take away their pain
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Different by Socheata Mok )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Question, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Thank the love gift me the verses by Ra.., Yuri Starostin
- पूनम का चांंद.............., sanjay kumar maurya
- An Angelic Figure, Ahmad Husain
- And the Trains Go On, Philip Levine
- Hair-raising, hafiz qasim
- Desperadoes, gajanan mishra
- Beatific, Naveed Khalid
- Bed of lust, Gerald Obinna
- The Traveling Onion, Naomi Shihab Nye
- Stuff I Love, Emily Liang