Usually with words I am spoilt for choice;
But there isn't a birdsong that touches your voice.
There are no earthy things that I can compare,
The softest of silks cant describe your hair.
And no castle or fortress, of whatever design
Can make me feel safer, than your hand in mine.
Not a feather or snowflake, as the days get colder
Nothing is softer or lighter than your head on my shoulder.
I could spend years writing this, and wracking my brain,
But the impossibility of describing you would drive me insane.
For no land I search or sea I sail,
Will help me describe you, in all your detail.
No waterfall or summer's day,
No painting of oil, or sculpture of clay,
No desert island, no flowered field,
Not the sharpest sword, not the strongest shield,
No oak tree or cloudless sky,
No ladybird or butterfly,
No diamond, sapphire, ruby, pearl,
No king, no queen, no lord, no earl,
No frankincense, no myrrh, no silver or gold?
Nothing, anywhere, young or old.
I could search the world, walk a million miles
But nothing helps me describe your smiles.
So I can only do the best I can,
But I can't do you justice, I'm only a man.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Details by Harry Radcliffe )
- Lust for blood, Abdul Malik Mandani
- blood, gordon nosworthy
- This ugly image هذه الصورة القبيحة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Evil Intent, Abdul Malik Mandani
- This ugly image, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sweet Ilussions, Sandra Feldman
- Weighting Each Thought, Heather Burns
- Their moral decline anytime انحدارهم ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A surrealistic image صورة سوريالية, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- In 80s, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Solution, Bertolt Brecht
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Lament for Ignacio Sánchez Mejías, Federico García Lorca
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns