Persephone, may this your mercy last, and you,
Persephone's consort, be not over-cruel.
There are so many thousands of lovely ghosts in Hell:
let one fair girl, please, stay among the living.
With you is Iope, with you is dazzling Tyro,
with you Europe, and shameless Pasiphae,
and all the beauties ancient Troy and Achaea had,
and Thebes, and aged Priam's ruined realm,
and all the Roman girls that may be ranked among them,
all dead: the greedy fire now has them all.
Beauty is not forever, nor anyone's luck eternal:
distant or near, a death awaits us all.
Since you, light of my life, are freed from this great peril,
pay Diana the ritual gifts you owe,
and keep your vigil for her, now a goddess, who once was a heifer
and give her - ah me! - the ten pure nights you vowed.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Deliverance by Propertius )
Did you read them?
- Income, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Walk, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Mighty Boxers., Harold R Hunt Sr
- SO MANY TIMES, Roberto Randazzo
- INVISIBLE LETTER, Roberto Randazzo
- HAVE YOU EVER, Roberto Randazzo
- If I were a poet, Cee Bea
- walking free in chains...., Marshall Gass
- Lockdown, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Difficult Poem, Marshall Gass
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
Harold R Hunt Sr
(Jan 14 1954)