Who will be there to claim my body
When from this world I must pass?
Whose heaven becomes eternal hell
As I'm laid beneath the grass?
Whose hands will sadly clasp together
In prayer to the Lord above?
Whose heart will wither from grief because
Lora was his one true love?
Whose lips will quiver and call my name,
With tears streaming down his face?
Whose arms will reach out in deep despair,
Pleading for one more embrace?
Who, then, shall write the final tribute
I'll take into eternity?
A poem, perhaps, tucked into my soul,
Wrapped with love, will escort me
Who will stand by my grave in autumn,
When flowers give up their seeds?
Will I be draped in roses and ferns....
Or under a pall of weeds?
Do I know him, was his name revealed,
The man who would grieve for me?
Or will he stay unknown to my heart....
Then dead I would rather be!
Lora Colon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death Wish by Lora Colon )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies