Andrew David Dalby
We nearly met...leaving mere hints
of subtle reflected connections,
that longed to delicately linger.
She smiled, with no conditions;
nor hiding her near raw hunger.
Dared I admit, how I truly felt,
and torn my heart upon her alter?
For everything was in her eyes.
From the heady intoned desire,
to a distant time etched echo
that was just longing to be free.
She was complete in her radiance...
While I...I in agony, ached to burn;
Yet not plead for my forgiveness.
We so very nearly drifted together.
Our bodies, enticed, near entwined;
I felt our heart pulses, sweat leather.
and as our tender lips, slipped long sips,
In passionate and needy expectation;
I saw his nailed hard, wrapped hands,
rest about her, in cold determination.
It was with a whisper and hand gesture
that made me pause, stall then hesitate.
Then with a subtle sigh and sad blush,
she hinted this could be her checkmate.
so, with night, shining in her naked eye,
I watched her go... and let her die...
feeling her bullet...then sensing her dead-weight.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dead weight. by Andrew David Dalby )
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Living With An Open Heart, Renee Marie
- Love Burns, Angela K Brown
- Broken Love, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns