Andrew David Dalby
We nearly met...leaving mere hints
of subtle reflected connections,
that longed to delicately linger.
She smiled, with no conditions;
nor hiding her near raw hunger.
Dared I admit, how I truly felt,
and torn my heart upon her alter?
For everything was in her eyes.
From the heady intoned desire,
to a distant time etched echo
that was just longing to be free.
She was complete in her radiance...
While I...I in agony, ached to burn;
Yet not plead for my forgiveness.
We so very nearly drifted together.
Our bodies, enticed, near entwined;
I felt our heart pulses, sweat leather.
and as our tender lips, slipped long sips,
In passionate and needy expectation;
I saw his nailed hard, wrapped hands,
rest about her, in cold determination.
It was with a whisper and hand gesture
that made me pause, stall then hesitate.
Then with a subtle sigh and sad blush,
she hinted this could be her checkmate.
so, with night, shining in her naked eye,
I watched her go... and let her die...
feeling her bullet...then sensing her dead-weight.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dead weight. by Andrew David Dalby )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Remedy to Find, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Inner Workings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Colours, Daniel Rimero
- India's Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Love! Let's run away from light., SAK Reddy
- Journey Of Ancient Values, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Bless You On This Day, Michael P. McParland
- The Blank Page, David Lewis Paget