Poor Fox, you've decomposed so much
now, I took it upon myself to bury
you...in a deep hollow of the old sea wall...
I lifted boulders up from the waterside,
one at a time, I was sweating all over,
and the cuffs on my blue jacket got
covered in all kinds of crap,
While an old schooner sailed by,
without a mast, out of the corner of my eye,
tiny figures all whooping and cheering!
Two lovers rifled past, glaring at the dead
red fur, 'yes - once more orange than a sunrise! '
Yeah! the light had gone out - real bad weather
we'd had, couldn't ascertain what had happened?
And I wonder if it's the same fox I spied one
morning, while waiting for the early crew van,
Off course - I made some friendly dog banter,
and the blasted beautiful fox so lightly footed
comes right up, to find a startled me, hand empty!
I doubt I'll ever get as close again, until today,
but you are dead, and the best I can offer,
is to fumble, hoist you up by that great soft brush
of a tail...
Then I struggle getting you in the hole...
Your floppy legs wouldn't quite go,
And the side you'd been lying on was so rank,
maggot infested, rotten, my nostrils imploded!
But once I got you in, I was partly glad!
went down, washed my hands methodically, in a rock pool,
the sea water felt good, then I picked up my camera & bag,
and climbed back up, walked past again, with a funereal air,
muttered something holy, can't quite remember?
GRANT FRASER's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dead Fox by GRANT FRASER )
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
- The Daughter of the Earth - 30, gajanan mishra
- Last Farewell, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Travel China Haiku - Chengdu spices, john tiong chunghoo
- Travel China Haiku - - A wealthy China, john tiong chunghoo
- Autumnal, Lawrence Beck
- Blinding Trust, Nick Kler
- I was falling, Rohan Nath
- The Moon And Me, Mallika Achuthan Menon
Poem of the Day
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Len Webster's 'Happiness', Len Webster
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- The Lesson, Roger McGough
- A Devoted Teacher, Joseph T. Renaldi
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(November 9 - 1937)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Robert Louis Stevenson