Poor Fox, you've decomposed so much
now, I took it upon myself to bury
you...in a deep hollow of the old sea wall...
I lifted boulders up from the waterside,
one at a time, I was sweating all over,
and the cuffs on my blue jacket got
covered in all kinds of crap,
While an old schooner sailed by,
without a mast, out of the corner of my eye,
tiny figures all whooping and cheering!
Two lovers rifled past, glaring at the dead
red fur, 'yes - once more orange than a sunrise! '
Yeah! the light had gone out - real bad weather
we'd had, couldn't ascertain what had happened?
And I wonder if it's the same fox I spied one
morning, while waiting for the early crew van,
Off course - I made some friendly dog banter,
and the blasted beautiful fox so lightly footed
comes right up, to find a startled me, hand empty!
I doubt I'll ever get as close again, until today,
but you are dead, and the best I can offer,
is to fumble, hoist you up by that great soft brush
of a tail...
Then I struggle getting you in the hole...
Your floppy legs wouldn't quite go,
And the side you'd been lying on was so rank,
maggot infested, rotten, my nostrils imploded!
But once I got you in, I was partly glad!
went down, washed my hands methodically, in a rock pool,
the sea water felt good, then I picked up my camera & bag,
and climbed back up, walked past again, with a funereal air,
muttered something holy, can't quite remember?
GRANT FRASER's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dead Fox by GRANT FRASER )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- hey hog rider, does the roof have ricket.., Mandolyn ...
- my hair is still growing as fast as the .., Mandolyn ...
- New Mexico Sky, Taiko
- The Truth Lays, Michael P. McParland
- I Pledge My Life Unto Thine Word, Dr John Celes
- Hope in the Good, yashovardhan kulkarni
- Dogged, Chris Ajiduah
- Whew-phew! Breathtaking Fairies Stood in.., Harindhar Reddy
- Sinful youth, Darian Kalamerd
- What A Breath, Chris Ajiduah