De Wallen at Twilight
A Haiku Sequence
'Old Sichuan Cuisine'
between window brothels
I eat alone
from one window brothel
a street dog and I
surrounded by girls
in the window brothels...
me and the Oude Kerk
1 De Wallen is the largest and best known red-light district in Amsterdam and a major tourist attraction.
2 Sichuan cuisine is known for its spicy, tongue-numbing dishes.
3 Note: Founded in 1213, the Oude Kerk ('old church') is Amsterdam’s oldest
building and oldest parish church.
Chenou Liu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (De Wallen at Twilight by Chenou Liu )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Statue for the Rev.Ian Paisley, Barney Rooney
- For Francis Jude Omoto (1982-2006), Dankaro Osazee
- Haiku Snowflakes, Kwai Chee Low
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Haiku Christmas is Here, Kwai Chee Low
- Snowman, Kwai Chee Low
- Heralding Christmas, Kwai Chee Low
- Under the Mistletoe, Kwai Chee Low
- Silent Nature, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sorry, Sorry, Sorry To Say That, Pijush Biswas