I took it all to heart,
each hasty smile and modest gesture,
each syllable of dispassionate word,
to a stage where even I was persuaded,
the rays veiling your face
in perfect symmetry,
were by your own hand.
I coveted you so,
for what were you incapable?
See, you were the rays,
as you were the smile, the gesture,
and the word.
Everything created, then destroyed
by unadulterated hand,
but all only in my sight.
Now I mistrust.
There are words I thought were spoken
and actions I thought displayed—
In fact, illusions and trickery.
But now I see,
how you were a dream,
borne of a skeptic in dangerous reverie.
This guise I had burdened on you,
I all the time unawares,
For it had seemed,
that when I said move
And when I said speak
How does something appearing
so concrete, so essential
be confused with truth?
—to savor another's words
and have them be your own—
Eyes blind and still
having dreams of distant realms—
but forget it.
Happiness has gained on me,
now knowing the best of truth.
Now there is only whisperings
of lost voices.
No more apparitions of smiles,
gestures, or words—
such trivial necessities,
conceived by a fool
in want of an actor.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Daydreaming by Savannah Oakes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Value, Carolyn Blackmon
- Tagore Song (#9) My freedom exist in da.., Tushar Ray
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Acknowledge What Love has to do with US, michael walkerjohn
- That Thing, Luo Zhihai
- The Polar Star, Tushar Ray
- On Learning in Texas of East Coast Winte.., Bill Grace
- I'm ill, lee fones
- Goodnight My Love, Michael P. McParland