One side right, one side left.. one side correct,
one side wrong: the border.. depending on
which side of the county line you live on.
The route known, but not commonly taken...
too rough, too tough... the terrain, the people.
Life too precious.. fears too great to take a chance.
Shy moon, the bashful stars, they hide behind
the face of the mountain, behind the clouds,
as if to say, “No never mind, ” to the morning.
The mission, a dream, a journey ahead.
And no matter what it takes, the high road
to however far it goes, is the one I’m taking.
Lordy, Lordy. There’s something way back there...
something terrible in the morning. But life’s too
precious, fears too great. Should I take a chance?
The wipers swish-swipe...swish-swipe,
black-link they the pathway.... a spectacle....
something’s there, something’s... not...not moving.
The beam of the headlights, the sight ugly
I see an animal....what can it be?
Good gracious. A lifeless body... lying....dead?
Oh, my! Is the body... dead?
Good Lord, is... is the body...a man?
O, mercy me, I’ve got to go back... Should I?
Ping, pang, shrieks the dark rain. Perhaps a border
warning? No, never mind the morning. No matter
where I’m going, no matter the county line....
One side’s always right, one side’s always wrong~
The journey may be rough, it may be tough,
and darker rains are sure to come again.
Still, I’ll take the chance, for life is for the living.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dark Rains by Jackie Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Ain't Try'n Deny'n, Steve Kittell
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra