There she stands
On the marble dais
Long limbs, smooth hands
Towards unseen shadows.
A perfect perfection
Of an artist’s sight,
In lean fingers,
Flat abdomen, entwined legs.
Epitome of lust,
Or perhaps too fiery passion she is
A woman not identified by history.
The sheen of bronze
With deep luster of age,
Skin flawless and smooth
Polished by lovers’ homage.
In that cathedral of art,
She has a corner,
A quiet one, a light one
With glass windows clashing on every edge.
When sun comes up
And when it goes down
A single ray falls on it,
Like a tribute, an entreaty
It graces and glows on the lady.
Nothing she wears
Except for her bronze skin,
In the form of love
At its eternal sin.
A face oval, slant eyes
And the lips that are parted
On the verge of a sigh
Of a deserted lovers touch,
Or a sensual dream
Which imprints much on heart.
The tendrils hanging on her face
Are too a shade of bronze ringlet
And the sun sparks in it a life
This comes after such wrenching
Immortalized by a lovers touch,
Even if he suffered such heart ache and death,
But he carved his paramour away.
On piece of metal,
Lifeless and dark
Epitome of grace
Of love of life
She stands there
A lover, a wife.
Watching her gives a pleasure heady,
Like making love,
Or loving a sin,
She returns the eerie
The mistress, the temptress
A lover’s dark lady.
Lucifera Santez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Dark Lady by Lucifera Santez )
- Illusion perpetuates., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love inspired meetings inspire, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Autumn, Deborah Kelley
- Fear of God?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Keep On Groovin', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Benefits For Them Do Not Exist, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Come close, hasmukh amathalal
- Cows caught, gajanan mishra
- Discovering God's Will, Tom Zart
- Shining later, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)