There she stands
On the marble dais
Long limbs, smooth hands
Towards unseen shadows.
A perfect perfection
Of an artist’s sight,
In lean fingers,
Flat abdomen, entwined legs.
Epitome of lust,
Or perhaps too fiery passion she is
A woman not identified by history.
The sheen of bronze
With deep luster of age,
Skin flawless and smooth
Polished by lovers’ homage.
In that cathedral of art,
She has a corner,
A quiet one, a light one
With glass windows clashing on every edge.
When sun comes up
And when it goes down
A single ray falls on it,
Like a tribute, an entreaty
It graces and glows on the lady.
Nothing she wears
Except for her bronze skin,
In the form of love
At its eternal sin.
A face oval, slant eyes
And the lips that are parted
On the verge of a sigh
Of a deserted lovers touch,
Or a sensual dream
Which imprints much on heart.
The tendrils hanging on her face
Are too a shade of bronze ringlet
And the sun sparks in it a life
This comes after such wrenching
Immortalized by a lovers touch,
Even if he suffered such heart ache and death,
But he carved his paramour away.
On piece of metal,
Lifeless and dark
Epitome of grace
Of love of life
She stands there
A lover, a wife.
Watching her gives a pleasure heady,
Like making love,
Or loving a sin,
She returns the eerie
The mistress, the temptress
A lover’s dark lady.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Dark Lady by Lucifera Santez )
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Day In the Workhouse, George Robert Sims
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- '' Death Can't Be Undone '', bri mar
- Ravenna, Edward Kofi Louis
- Breath, beneath!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rosy (Ten), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Merry Christmas My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- See, seer!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Obligated, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rosy (Nine), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Rosy (Eight), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- to be or not to be a vegtarianien, oskar hansen