Dancing in the Rain.
On the window.
Two fat raindrops
Calling me out.
Bang, bang, bang
“Come out and play.”
Tries to pull me back
To the accounts
Waiting to be balanced
On the side of my desk.
I open the door
And the sky
Flashes its greeting
The battle is won
And out I go.
And the rain pats
My bare shoulders.
And I sigh
Raising my face
The same caress.
Washes another worry
Music starts to play
In my head
And my feet
Start to dance.
Weigh me down
Clinging to my legs.
Off they come.
Spotlights my ever more
Shouts in applause.
Crash, bang, crash,
Flash and boom.
The crescendo finally climaxes
And I leap into the lake.
Black envelopes me.
I allow myself to sink.
For a second enjoying death.
Lightning calls me back
And I burst to the surface again
Joyous to be alive.
Sallie Howson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dancing in the Rain. by Sallie Howson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Question, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Period so brief, hasmukh amathalal
- Rapping Christmas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On Christmas Evening, John Lars Zwerenz
- MAX, Dog goD 8Hate
- Defective, gajanan mishra
- Deep Pain, Michael P. McParland
- Miracle Of Compassion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dedication, Michael P. McParland
- Deciet?, Michael P. McParland
- He is on earth, hasmukh amathalal