Debra Kay Robinson
Critics, Teachers and Mentors
Critics, unlike teachers and mentors
Use their words like sticks of dynamite, creating carnage.
Mindlessly ripping through trailer parks
Where nonconforming poets reside—
While attempting to hone their craft, despite their souls being buried
In the rubble of your irreverence.
The critic's singular mission, hell-bent on denying creativity,
As if the act no worse
Than removing the decorative stones and features from abandoned structures—
Attempting to subjugate the heart of the poet
Exacting their will, through the power of their words.
Camouflaged egos in mansions of self-importance,
Attempting to build their reputations,
On the backs of those who labored and toiled
Failing to recognize their own vices.
Concealing rocket propelled grenades
Awaiting the opportunity to launch
Cowardly acts of literary terrorism.
Indifferent to the attempts of sabotage,
The spirit of the poet endeavors
Laying their words to paper, a deed of conveyance
To the teachers and mentors, those who encouraged and inspired
The poet's voice.
© June 18,2014
Debra Kay Robinson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Critics, Teachers and Mentors by Debra Kay Robinson )
- Bottled and Guarded the Overberg Story, Jenny Santiago
- हमारा घर हमारा भारत, MIRTUNJAY KUMAR
- Lampost, Naveed Khalid
- Tablet Of Simurgh, Naveed Khalid
- My Chamber of the Great Escape, Jenny Santiago
- To The Moon I, Naveed Khalid
- Where I want to be, Jenny Santiago
- Beehive, Naveed Khalid
- Purgatory, Naveed Khalid
- I seek, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Ballad of Gentleness, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)