Let us be divested of our identities,
deprived of our voices,
consigned to waiting rooms.
Let us be parcelled into boxes,
tagged only with our labels:
unemployed, immigrant, criminal, junkie.
Let us be stored in cupboards
until politicians summon us forth
to proclaim their charges.
Let fires be stoked with newsprint
and television watch while
we are consumed by the flames.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Consumers by Don Pearson )
- Nightmares With No End, Lilly Emery
- The source of our pains and our sufferin.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The source of our pains and our pains an.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Comfort Of Our Dreams, David Harris
- Intellectual Designs, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Cold Night In Silence, Lilly Emery
- Knit in Infinity, Lisa Bertsch
- In Silence, Lilly Emery
- the missing truth, asma writer
- Earth tones of Arizona, David Lessard