Thou art God and I Thy servant,
I bow to Thy will in all things
And question not Thy wisdom.
Thou hast set me suffering,
Scattering my wealth,
Taking my children,
And yet, I glorify Thee.
Thou set upon my skin reddened boils
And I lay in dust and ashes
As Thou wouldst have me
And still, I am Thy tool.
In my pain I cry for justice,
And Thy answer only: Thou art God.
My companions said repent my sins
For my suffering is surely a sign from God,
Yet Thee reproacheth them
And say they art the sinners
And I the blameless one.
Thou, in Thy mysterious wisdom,
Resored my wealth
And gave unto me children
And years to see unto the fourth generation.
And, in the fullness of my years,
I heeded Thy call for home.
I recline now at the foot of Thy throne,
And in my heavenly reward,
I humbly ask for Thy indulgence
To answer that which vexes me sorely:
Lord, do Thou as God all-powerful,
Followeth Thy law of just treatment?
Can Thou distain Thy law and
Yet still be God?
Did Thou thinkest I loved my first born
Less because Thou bestowest others?
Does the adversary rule Thy actions
With his chiding?
I asked only to be judged
On balanced scales,
Yet, like a dishonest butcher,
Thou caste eyes to Satan, wink, and lay
Thy thumb on the weighted pan.
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Consider Job by Charles Darnell )
- A Dream, Steve Kittell
- Waiting on my time, Gypsy Pain
- Mohabbat kaamil ho gayi, Ahatisham Alam
- Single Dad, louis rams
- A Victim of Love?, Mr. Nobody
- The Ugly Brother, Von Kimball Barney
- Khwaabon ki Haqikat, Ahatisham Alam
- THE BIRTH LAND, Abhishek Kumar Singh
- Hame Rone ki aadat pad gai, Ahatisham Alam
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)