O look at the horses and people!
How they hurry and trample and fight!
And the smoke blowing over the steeple,--
O look, how the guns shine bright!
See this one, this soldier, he's swinging
His sword over head in the air;
How the shot must be leaping and stinging!
See the men falling down everywhere!
Isn't this what the white folks call the war?
I wonder what they are doing it for.
And there's the big flag flying splendid,
White stars pretty red, pretty blue,
All torn. Do you think 'twill be mended,
And fly out again, good as new?
See the blue coats and gray coats, --I'm sorry
They bleed and they suffer and die;
What made all the fighting and worry?
Can you think of the reason why
They killed each other, the gray and the blue?
O dusky children, it was for you!
Celia Thaxter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Connoisseurs by Celia Thaxter )
- Sunset, Littlewing28 Pani
- what is kinte, kinte allah
- Peace Inside, Spiritwind Wood
- how far can i go on?, fareeha ghafoor
- I came to you, Gert Strydom
- The days that are past, Gert Strydom
- When morning is BEST, Antonio Liao
- clear color, Howard MacDougall
- A festival...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- A Young Boy, RoseAnn V. Shawiak