O look at the horses and people!
How they hurry and trample and fight!
And the smoke blowing over the steeple,--
O look, how the guns shine bright!
See this one, this soldier, he's swinging
His sword over head in the air;
How the shot must be leaping and stinging!
See the men falling down everywhere!
Isn't this what the white folks call the war?
I wonder what they are doing it for.
And there's the big flag flying splendid,
White stars pretty red, pretty blue,
All torn. Do you think 'twill be mended,
And fly out again, good as new?
See the blue coats and gray coats, --I'm sorry
They bleed and they suffer and die;
What made all the fighting and worry?
Can you think of the reason why
They killed each other, the gray and the blue?
O dusky children, it was for you!
Celia Thaxter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Connoisseurs by Celia Thaxter )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Parallel Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- À L'ÉLU DE MON COEUR, Rosie Bourget
- Eagle, Luo Zhihai
- I Told You Often, Vera Sidhwa
- Watch Super Bowl 2015 Live Stream Online.., Renz Barns
- everything i ever wrote sort of had your.., Mandolyn ...
- Missing, Luo Zhihai
- THE FIRST TIME, Rosie Bourget
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- Beyond Beds Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak