I offer this confession in answer to the purpose of my life.
You sent me in your love before your people
To show them a path to Heaven.
I offered my life to teach your wisdom:
The greatest virtue is Love,
That each should do unto others
As all would want for themselves,
To clothe the naked,
To feed the hungry,
To shelter the homeless,
And to ease suffering as best can be done.
These simple lessons have been transfigured,
They are raised to Holy Script
And locked away in great books
And I too am raised up.
The graven calf has been cast down
And replaced with my haloed image,
And I am worshiped in its place;
As if it is enough for mankind’s happiness,
As if my life was too high to follow.
They raise me up as God
And worship the Idea,
For it is easier to worship the image
Than to live the words,
It is easier to drink the wine
Than to tend the vineyard.
They have turned my cross into a pedestal,
And my words they shape into a sword
And thrust them into men’s hearts.
They call me “Son of God”,
Yet so are we all, all your children.
They see it not:
It is too hard.
Forgive me Father, for I have failed you,
Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Confession by Charles Darnell )
- The truth is, Brian Kilpatrick
- In our minds, Brian Kilpatrick
- Walls, arshad arshad
- / Ek Burkhawalli She Pyar-mohabbat/ Ek P.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Boond Boond Boond Barse Chain, Yashvardhan Goel
- O My God, Meri Ek Bhi Nahin, Uski Tin-Ti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Fabus Indulcet Fames, michael walkerjohn
- One Not, But Three Bibis, Veiled Wives, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Alive In S'November To Remember - The Ta.., Joe Muschaweck
- Each Day With You KP, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Marriage(Divine Relation), binod bastola
- YOUR SADNESS DRAWS A SAD PICTURE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)