I offer this confession in answer to the purpose of my life.
You sent me in your love before your people
To show them a path to Heaven.
I offered my life to teach your wisdom:
The greatest virtue is Love,
That each should do unto others
As all would want for themselves,
To clothe the naked,
To feed the hungry,
To shelter the homeless,
And to ease suffering as best can be done.
These simple lessons have been transfigured,
They are raised to Holy Script
And locked away in great books
And I too am raised up.
The graven calf has been cast down
And replaced with my haloed image,
And I am worshiped in its place;
As if it is enough for mankind’s happiness,
As if my life was too high to follow.
They raise me up as God
And worship the Idea,
For it is easier to worship the image
Than to live the words,
It is easier to drink the wine
Than to tend the vineyard.
They have turned my cross into a pedestal,
And my words they shape into a sword
And thrust them into men’s hearts.
They call me “Son of God”,
Yet so are we all, all your children.
They see it not:
It is too hard.
Forgive me Father, for I have failed you,
Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Confession by Charles Darnell )
- In My Head, Foster Teegarden
- Love is Splattered Everywhere!, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- Deep Water, The Princess
- All Things Nice, Tania Montgomery
- Love is a Sad and Sorry Chameleon, Hebert Logerie
- Love Thru Poetic Passion, Sandra Feldman
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- A New Day, Electric Lady
- Evening Star, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
- Heather Burns