My concern is this.
If I am traveling overseas,
Sampling other teas,
Am I not safe at an American Embassy?
If temperatures an conflict should rise,
And, I an American can’t disguise.
And, I see enemy aircraft in the skies.
Where is it that I take my family?
To prevent personal tragedy,
What should be my strategy?
As a mother of a young daughter,
I really want to know.
How I can protect her.
From a violent world,
She’s such a young girl.
Innocent to a strange new world,
How can I protect my daughter?
After what happened in Benghazi,
My faith in America is a little hazy.
Not to our military.
And their bravery,
But to their Commander of Chief
I’m not going for political slander.
I’m just a mother searching for relief.
This is my strong parental belief.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
By, Patricia Kriegel-Kelley
Comments about this poem (Concerned American by Patricia Kelley )
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
- CV, Mae AC.
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)