My concern is this.
If I am traveling overseas,
Sampling other teas,
Am I not safe at an American Embassy?
If temperatures an conflict should rise,
And, I an American can’t disguise.
And, I see enemy aircraft in the skies.
Where is it that I take my family?
To prevent personal tragedy,
What should be my strategy?
As a mother of a young daughter,
I really want to know.
How I can protect her.
From a violent world,
She’s such a young girl.
Innocent to a strange new world,
How can I protect my daughter?
After what happened in Benghazi,
My faith in America is a little hazy.
Not to our military.
And their bravery,
But to their Commander of Chief
I’m not going for political slander.
I’m just a mother searching for relief.
This is my strong parental belief.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
By, Patricia Kriegel-Kelley
Comments about this poem (Concerned American by Patricia Kelley )
- Out There, Fatima Nusairat
- Immortal world, gajanan mishra
- Soulful smile, ramesh rai
- Perfection, Donnie Wolff
- Defiled, gajanan mishra
- Be It Trivial And Mundane, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Every creature, gajanan mishra
- How Juice From Fruit Is Produced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Once Indifference Is Shown, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- empty without you, Liss March
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns