Not with a flash that rends the blue
Shall fall the avenging sword.
Gently as the evening dew
Descends the mighty Lord.
His dreadful balances are made
To move with moon and tide;
Yet shall not mercy be afraid
Nor justice be denied.
The dreams that seemed to waste away,
The kindliness forgot,
Were singing in your heart today
Although you knew them not.
The sun shall not forget his road,
Nor the high stars their rhyme,
The traveller with the heavier load
Has one less hill to climb.
And, though a darker shadow fall
On every struggling age,
How shall it be if, after all,
He share our pilgrimage?
The end we mourn is not the end.
The dust has nimble wings.
But truth and beauty have a friend
At the deep heart of things.
He will not speak? What friend belies
His love with idle breath?
We read it in each others' eyes,
And ask no more in death.
Alfred Noyes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Compensations by Alfred Noyes )
- No Other Presence, Hannah Bryson Price
- Transcendent Evolution, Curtlan Popo
- Stress = God Is In Control, Tom Zart
- Another Crossroads, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I am remembering that day, gajanan mishra
- Climbing A Mountain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- First Love At First Sight, Electric Lady
- Surprising Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Endless Sea, Curtlan Popo
- Hoping For The Best, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)