Below us grey grass green gently rolls to the shore.
salty, shallow, sandy, the waves beat slow time.
The shifting wind bends
Soft brown stems of dandelions,
To scatter their wealth in puffs of white glory.
To fly in seeming ecstasy as they ascend heaven ward,
To meet the crying black back gulls.
Dust devils zip across yellow cascades of drifting dunes,
Strewn with sharp Marram grass,
As we picnic within their lofty walls
In our sheltered nook.
So companionable in our silence.
Listening to sounds of wind and wave and bird.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Companionable Silence by Babbling Brookes )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 March 1941 -)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- WE WERE ONCE, Jon Alan
- A Mother's Loneliness, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- God ia not all macho, kalemeera collins
- My mom, Meenakshi Hariharan
- 2006 Tsunami, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Yes, I am emotional, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Perspective, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Let the music play on, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Girl's Proposal, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Man, Katherina Palomo