Colours and Shades
Mankind are of many colours and shades
even though their origin is said to be the same.
How can this be?
Genetics offers a complex explanation;
but I prefer a much simpler solution,
plain, free from confusion:
When God created Adam
he mixed the black clay of Africa
with the yellow clay of China
and the white and red sands of Arabia;
God formed him and breathed life into him.
Genetics agrees that these colours
must appear in Adam’s descendants,
either in pure or mixed hues.
So there you have it, brother and sister!
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours and Shades by Isam Hussain )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(15 April 1958)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- QUARTER! 2015 Australian Open: Djokovic .., Vincent Wendele
Poem of the Day
- Esprit de corps, Naveed Khalid
- Almost A Decade, Rimni chakravarty
- A Visit To Your Home Amongst A Field of .., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Cavern by the Sea, Martha Lavinia Hoffman
- Of The Second Presage..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Smile!, Avinash Nair
- mGIC TREE, oskar hansen
- innocence, abdirahman haaji rilwaan
- MOST LIVING PEOPLE, Michael P. Johnson
- Beautiful rose, Andytics mufc