Colours and Shades
Mankind are of many colours and shades
even though their origin is said to be the same.
How can this be?
Genetics offers a complex explanation;
but I prefer a much simpler solution,
plain, free from confusion:
When God created Adam
he mixed the black clay of Africa
with the yellow clay of China
and the white and red sands of Arabia;
God formed him and breathed life into him.
Genetics agrees that these colours
must appear in Adam’s descendants,
either in pure or mixed hues.
So there you have it, brother and sister!
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours and Shades by Isam Hussain )
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)