Colour Me Up
Colour me up, colour me down.
Black is black. White is known.
Black. The colour of murder, of soul.
Black. The mood, thunder, coal.
Take the knife and change it to RED!
Angry words. Vermillion said.
Rag to bull. Passion and fashion!
Roses and love.
Yellow's like a lovely day.
Spring, with Summer on the way.
Daffodils and Buttercups.
Yellow's fear and cowardice.
Faint heartedness, unfair play.
Green's another primary
Grass and trees and warty toads.
Mixed with yellow it turns to mud.
Envy gluttony and greed, it`s said.
Really it's just as bad as Red!
Blue skies blue eyes
and blue speedwell.
Robin eggs up high in nests.
The ocean. Is it blue or green?
That aqua colour in between.
Blue mood. Bluebell
And all that Jazz!
What then, of our old friend Grey?
It seems there's not a lot to say.
But don't think boring, dull or flat
Grey has so much more than that!
The burnished sheen of gunmetal hue,
In certain lights its silver and blue.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Colour Me Up by Elizabeth Delaney )
- The paradox of becoming a Man, Nancy Handabile
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Victor Marie Hugo
(26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)