I am lived. I am died.
I was two-leafed three times, and grazed,
but then I was stemmed and multiplied,
sharp-thorned and caned, nested and raised,
earth-salt by sun-sugar. I was innerly sung
by thrushes who need fear no eyed skin thing.
Finched, ant-run, flowered, I am given the years
in now fewer berries, now more of sling
out over directions of luscious dung.
Of water crankshaft, of gases the gears
my shape is cattle-pruned to a crown spread sprung
above the starve-gut instinct to make prairies
of everywhere. My thorns are stuck with caries
of mice and rank lizards by the butcher bird.
Inches in, baby seed-screamers get supplied.
I am lived and died in, vine woven, multiplied.
Les Murray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cockspur Bush by Les Murray )
- 울산 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●울산 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- I've Decided, Orlando Belo
- 울산(울산) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘울산 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 울산 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙울산 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 울산 ANMA¿０１０¿５９３３¿０４３７¿울산 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 울산 ANMA MASSAJE 010 ５９４６ ０３７７울산(울산) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 울산(울산) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《울산(울산) ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
- 산본 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●산본 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 산본(산본) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘산본 MASSAJE, masajejjaanngg lee
- 산본 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙산본 ANMA, masajejjaanngg lee
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)