I am lived. I am died.
I was two-leafed three times, and grazed,
but then I was stemmed and multiplied,
sharp-thorned and caned, nested and raised,
earth-salt by sun-sugar. I was innerly sung
by thrushes who need fear no eyed skin thing.
Finched, ant-run, flowered, I am given the years
in now fewer berries, now more of sling
out over directions of luscious dung.
Of water crankshaft, of gases the gears
my shape is cattle-pruned to a crown spread sprung
above the starve-gut instinct to make prairies
of everywhere. My thorns are stuck with caries
of mice and rank lizards by the butcher bird.
Inches in, baby seed-screamers get supplied.
I am lived and died in, vine woven, multiplied.
Les Murray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cockspur Bush by Les Murray )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(25 July 1956)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Thanks for Remembering Us, Dana Gioia
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Tarantella, Hilaire Belloc
- Gratefulness, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- Sonnet: The Awesome Creator, Dr John Celes
- Sashay, Cee Bea
- Snakes are snakes always, gajanan mishra
- Sonnets Uncorseted, Maxine Kumin
- Sky, mina lotfi
- Where are my children, gajanan mishra
- Winter Festival Chant, Luo Zhihai
- A Humble Heroine, Max Plowman
- Dear Amy Nehzooukammyatootill, Aimee Nezhukumatathil
- I fear a foolish, gajanan mishra