Circle Of Promises
Promise! promise! ! promise! ! !
That's all what they give
That's all we have.
Every four years,
We are circled with promises
Our air are clustered with lies
Echoes of deafening fake promises
Are laid as baits to cajole us
Banals coloured with lies are displayed
Castles are built in the sky
Just to get what they want
All is a circle of promises
Instead for the coconut leave to become tender
It becomes harder as it matures
The more they promise,
The more lies are told,
The less we get.
Once they get what they want
They bolt into their chambers
Where they become lords to us
Never to reckon with us
Until another season of deception.
Babatunde Aremu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Circle Of Promises by Babatunde Aremu )
- The Sadness Of This World, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Could Be Out In The Rain, Vigna Mukund
- Equations: Friend Or Enemy, Guess Who
- Waiting for Dawn, Somanathan Iyer
- Confidence, Somanathan Iyer
- Doodling Without Purpose, Margaret Alice Second
- Nine persons are exempted from the disci.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Why like this?, Somanathan Iyer
- Humans we are!, Somanathan Iyer
- Summer, Naveed Khalid