Christmas will be lonely without Tina my wife
For she died in hospital, and she was my life.
She seemed for all to start to recover
But died suddenly without warning
A life alone I was about to discover.
It will be lonely this Christmas, lonely and cold
She died so young never to grow old.
I now watch others prepare for Christmas joys
Out to the shops stocking up with food.
Or out buying perfume, jumpers and toys.
What the future holds nobody knows
My love for her only grows and grows.
I think of her both night and day
And when I take her dog for a walk
For in my heart she will always stay.
I spend my time at the foot of her grave
Thinking of the love to me that she gave.
Of soft the times we went out for a walk,
An afternoon drive in the countryside,
Or sat in a café over coffee where we would talk.
But Christmas will come and Christmas will go
And Christmas joy to others I must still show.
For Christmas is about a new born child
Brought into this world so meek and so mild
To bring about healing for people like me
David Wood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Christmas Alone by David Wood )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(2 July 1923 – 1 February 2012)
Winifred Emma May
(1907 - 1990)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie
- You Keep The Sea, Naveed Akram
- There's nothing like dance, Yisel Chong
- No One Could Ever Understand, Thabang Rakimane
- You made me evil, Yisel Chong
- The time machine, Yisel Chong
- Blue-eyed boy Mr. Death for e.e. cummings, r james sterzinger
- Salvation Jane, vince gullaci
- A Girl Called Memory, Mashewa1 Nthele