How difficult the choice was
I would not stand seeing my mom sad
To know that I would become a mother
Without being able to mention the father
But it would certainly hurt her more
If she knew nothing
So I decided to let my mom and my family know
After I prepared everything for the near future
To welcome my baby in the safest place I chose
I arranged the words carefully so as not to look worried
Things were not as bad as I expected
I was fortunate I had a wonderful family
Who loved me and I loved much
They should have been thinking about themselves, normally
As what I did would bring a shame
It must be like a slap on their faces in front of the society
Where everyone sneaked a look at each other
Their eyes beamed
When I said “I can't mention the father or take it as ....my baby does not have a father”
They looked at each other and then nodded
They already knew me.
But their tears dropped.
(Indonesia,13th October 2013)
Nur Meiyati's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Choice by Nur Meiyati )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Mousetrap, Herbert Nehrlich
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Country Inn, Dr. Yogesh Sharma
- Mysterious guest., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- If You Could, Brian J. Stafford
- Melancholy of a dreamer, Jonathan De Vocht
- The snow makes me happy., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Nilgiri Tahrs., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Wild boars., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Father Damiern, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Thunder In The Distance, Susan Lacovara
- Grant me Love! Demon., Leylek D. Sovura