Child Coping with the Past
He's only seven, but, his life is turned inside out.
He sits and pouts.
No one loves me.
I no longer have a sister or brother.
I can't even see my real mother.
No one even likes me.
It was all, my dad's fault.
Because of his assault,
Against me and my brother,
He was real mean,
But, not my mother,
When, I grow up.
He's going to feel my judgment.
For all the times, he hurt me.
And my sister and brother,
When he sees my fist,
In his face, I'll make him feel disgrace,
That man is on my bucket list.
Unless God shows him grace.
It's my real dad's fault that my sister, and brother, and me, have been moved from place to place.
That we were thrown into the foster care system, because he was mean to us.
He's why my life is a mess.
He's the reason my emotions regress.
And, I have a hard time making progress.
That man hurt me.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Child Coping with the Past by Patricia Kelley )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Mike Teavee...", Roald Dahl
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Made Electric By The Moon, Is It Poetry
- It's all in your head, Yisel Chong
- Every Breath Of Life, Spiritwind Wood
- Forever in my heart..., Yisel Chong
- C o r t e g e...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Spirit Within, Spiritwind Wood
- Love, Carolyn Blackmon
- The Staff at Flagstaff Hospital, Kathryn Tyler King
- Dry Your Sorrows And Tears, Spiritwind Wood
- My Venus, Sandra Lynn