Jesse James and Wyatt Earp were playing poker.
It was hot and very close in the Kansas saloon.
The bugs preferred to crawl, it was too much work to fly.
Belle Starr stirred the dead air with her fan.
The players eyed each other leerily and coddled their cards.
Jessie took a sip of 'shine and said 'I'll take two.'
It was then that Earp spotted the trick.
Belle, honey' he said, calmly, 'can you get me a beer? '
'Sure, honey, ' she said, musically, and traipsed off swinging her hips.
'Jesse, you dog, hissed Earp, 'you dirty gerrymanderin' animule,
pretendin' to play by the rules, then cheatin' for gain,
Take that! ', and he aimed his gun at Jesse's hand.
Caught in the glare of the lawman's gaze
Jesse peeed his pants. A growing circle of wet appeared
Exactly where you might expect.
'Take that, ' barked Earp- he was really mad-
And sent a bullet though Jesse's heart via a playing card
Which later turned out to be the ace of hearts,
And before the card fluttered to the ground
shot several more holes through it, for good fun.
That was marksmanship!
Jesse preceded the card to the floor
With narry so much as a moan or a groan.
It landed on his breathless abdomen.
Belle came back with the lousy beer.
'What was all that noise', she asked, a bit surprised,
Then noticing James, wondered 'What happened to HIM? ',
Stepping over her dead sweetheart, prone in the mud.
'Dirty, filthy cheat', she exclaimed, when Earp explained,
Stomping on Jesse's chest with her stiletto heel.
Then she leaned down and picked up the card-
Examined the overlapping holes, the scarlet heart,
'Cheatin's the best aphrodisiac', she hummed.
'All my candy money', wept Earp, 'he was a-cheatin' ta' git- '
'Cheatin's the best aphrodisiac', sang Belle, sadly,
'The best aphrodisiac you can buy'.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cheatin' by Morgan Michaels )
- A Muse of Water, Carolyn Kizer
- I Will Not Bow, Ivan Christabel Prashant
- Go for a Walk, Ima Ryma
- Water Island, Howard Moss
- Only witness, gajanan mishra
- My Life, Ivan Christabel Prashant
- 수원 ANMA☞０１０▼５９３３▼０４３７☜수원 ANMA, zczx zxczxc
- Dreams, Daisy Pereira
- Beauty of Care, Rohit Sapra
- 수원 ANMA MASSAJE ♠♠010 ５９４６ ０３７７♠♠수원[수원] .., zczx zxczxc
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)