Andrew David Dalby
Caught between the whisper and the muse
"The other half of half afraid opens many a door." Brendan Kellery
If I am roughly ripped and cleaved from a rocky heart
And then thrown out, from a callous rough muscled tongue;
Oh, how desperately I wish to be brought into pure life.
To be so shaped, into a powerful sword of burnished steel
That would glisten when touched by the golden light of dawn.
If I am hotly wrestled from the furnace of the soul too late
Then I have already lost my fight for life and begin to crack apart.
I shatter like a stack of brittle bones left to rot in the hot light of day,
To finally turn to shards and then just become just dry dust…
Tasteless, and useless to all who try to touch my beauty and my worth.
If I am far too easily thrown up and out of the heat of the heart
I am simply far too young, and unaware of my form to function.
How simple it is for me to bubble and blister happily in the souls of men;
and have unthinking consequence of form or strained pertaining action.
For I am blown out, far too quickly upon the winds of lost selection.
If I am too cool I sadly rest upon the dusted floor, just useless
Unfettered and unguarded, a twisted lump of unwanted form.
There's nothing here worth saving… nothing here at all,
So I am left to left to be trampled underfoot, broken and rejected;
To everyone who sees me trying to boldly walk so tall.
But… if I am just right, and I am caught in the whisper of the muse;
Then like a golden butterfly I awake, transformed, cut, shaped, hewed.
I hold... strong tall and bold; captured...whole.
leaving truly nowhere upon these spheres that cannot dare to go!
So no God below! or twisted fear within!
can keep me from the gentle tender you.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Caught between the whisper and the muse by Andrew David Dalby )
- It's All Fare in Love, Akhtar Jawad
- Blissful Atmosphere, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Going beyond death, see me, gajanan mishra
- Total Anticipation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- opganda.com ≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '수원휴게텔대박'…'동탄휴게텔.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- opganda.com ≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '강남오피대박'…'동탄휴게텔'.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- Being with you means a lot!, Sumita Jetley
- Writing What I Mean, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- OPGANDA.COM≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '강남휴게텔대박'…'동탄휴게텔'.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- On being Right, John F. McCullagh
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)