Frederick George Scott
HAST thou not seen the tints unfold,
From earth, sky, sea, and setting sun,
When all the glare of day was done,
And melt in one long stream of gold?
So down the dim-lit glades of time,
Age after age, things divers blend,
Each working for the same great end,
And in its working each sublime.
Was it in vain that Buddha taught,
Or that Mohammed lived and died?
Have they not, working side by side
In differing climes, God's purpose wrought?
O Christian sage, who lov'st thy creeds!
Think not the ropes that bind thee fast,
Like storm-tossed sailor, to the mast,
Can answer yet each brother's needs.
And rail not thou at those half-known,
Who, groping thro' a darker night,
Have found perhaps a dimmer light
Than that thou sternly call'st thine own.
Wouldst thou have spent, like them, thy youth,
Thy manhood, and thy weak old age,
In one long search thro' nature's page,
An unassisted search, for truth?
Oh, dream not the Almighty's powers
Must ever work in one known way;
Nor think those planets have no day
Whose suns are other suns than ours.
Frederick George Scott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Catholicism by Frederick George Scott )
- Ephemera, Ian Nicholas McDowell
- Seeing light in Darkness, Aziz Akrish
- Mother! will I not be the saffron spot o.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- A Virtual Life, Sandra Feldman
- Never Ending Dreams, Lilly Emery
- My Soul's Song, Matthew Densley
- No love, Barbara Dixion
- Music Is Life, Ray Hansell
- S. Truett Cathy - A Memoriam Poem, Bill Grace
- Take My Heart, Ray Hansell
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)