Frederick George Scott
HAST thou not seen the tints unfold,
From earth, sky, sea, and setting sun,
When all the glare of day was done,
And melt in one long stream of gold?
So down the dim-lit glades of time,
Age after age, things divers blend,
Each working for the same great end,
And in its working each sublime.
Was it in vain that Buddha taught,
Or that Mohammed lived and died?
Have they not, working side by side
In differing climes, God's purpose wrought?
O Christian sage, who lov'st thy creeds!
Think not the ropes that bind thee fast,
Like storm-tossed sailor, to the mast,
Can answer yet each brother's needs.
And rail not thou at those half-known,
Who, groping thro' a darker night,
Have found perhaps a dimmer light
Than that thou sternly call'st thine own.
Wouldst thou have spent, like them, thy youth,
Thy manhood, and thy weak old age,
In one long search thro' nature's page,
An unassisted search, for truth?
Oh, dream not the Almighty's powers
Must ever work in one known way;
Nor think those planets have no day
Whose suns are other suns than ours.
Frederick George Scott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Catholicism by Frederick George Scott )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- Jugnoo, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Love As Dry As Bone, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- A Million Kisses, Michael P. McParland
- La Belle Dame, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Indescribable, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- We CAN, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Tortuous Furrow, kassem oude
- Haunted Me, Her Shadow, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Diminishing Foresight, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Happy Birthday Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- A defining moment in history, Royston Allen