Can't Take That Away
Let them say,
Anything they want to say.
It won't take anything from you.
Let them do,
Anything they want to you.
But don't let them take that away.
Don't falter in your conviction.
Cast away your fears.
Believe in your dreams,
‘Cause nobody could see them as you do
Have faith in yourself, even if none would.
Wear your differences with dignity.
As the peacock wears her colors elegantly
Though they may ridicule your uniqueness.
There is a light in you that'll librates others
If you don't give in.
Hold on to who you are.
Be proud to be unique.
Let them formulate their theories
To explain your idiosyncrasy.
Let them try,
But they can't take that away from you.
It's of human to dread,
That which they can't fathom.
You don't need a fix or therapy to deal with it.
What you think a curse might be your blessing
For it sets you apart,
Makin' you standout in the crowd.
Turn that weakness to a strength
And they will be intimidated.
They may try to bring you down,
But can't make you face the ground.
Don't let them succeed to make you feel inferior,
Or put off your unquenchable spirit
That makes them feel inadequate.
You're a marvel in your uniqueness,
Like the spots of the leopard,
The stripes of the zebra,
The horn of a unicorn,
They can try all they can
But don't let them take that away from you.
There is something in you they can't possess.
The inner peace that infects,
That light within your eyes that illuminates,
The precious love you hold inside.
Cling to you pride, brush them aside.
Don't let them ‘n' the darkness will fade
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Can't Take That Away by Dave BenOdafe )
- You, Arich Cole
- Remembered With The Best Thoughts Kept, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Never From You To Leave, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Perfect Balancing Of Creativity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Remaining Respectful, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Loyal Friendship, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Invisible, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- Separating Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Subsequent Melody, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
- The Catalyst, Kimberly Joyce Roguis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)