Can't Take That Away
Let them say,
Anything they want to say.
It won't take anything from you.
Let them do,
Anything they want to you.
But don't let them take that away.
Don't falter in your conviction.
Cast away your fears.
Believe in your dreams,
‘Cause nobody could see them as you do
Have faith in yourself, even if none would.
Wear your differences with dignity.
As the peacock wears her colors elegantly
Though they may ridicule your uniqueness.
There is a light in you that'll librates others
If you don't give in.
Hold on to who you are.
Be proud to be unique.
Let them formulate their theories
To explain your idiosyncrasy.
Let them try,
But they can't take that away from you.
It's of human to dread,
That which they can't fathom.
You don't need a fix or therapy to deal with it.
What you think a curse might be your blessing
For it sets you apart,
Makin' you standout in the crowd.
Turn that weakness to a strength
And they will be intimidated.
They may try to bring you down,
But can't make you face the ground.
Don't let them succeed to make you feel inferior,
Or put off your unquenchable spirit
That makes them feel inadequate.
You're a marvel in your uniqueness,
Like the spots of the leopard,
The stripes of the zebra,
The horn of a unicorn,
They can try all they can
But don't let them take that away from you.
There is something in you they can't possess.
The inner peace that infects,
That light within your eyes that illuminates,
The precious love you hold inside.
Cling to you pride, brush them aside.
Don't let them ‘n' the darkness will fade
Dave BenOdafe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Can't Take That Away by Dave BenOdafe )
- When my love states that she is futile..., Saheb Mohapatra
- Sink and feel, SALINI NAIR
- Birthday Years, Greta Bellamacina
- When Hope Becomes A Prayer, Savita Tyagi
- So the Ancients say...., Savita Tyagi
- Thank and wish, hasmukh amathalal
- Goodbye The Day, Pijush Biswas
- ~Oneness ~, Aftab Alam
- Random Thought lX, Savita Tyagi
- The Little Robin Flew, Rohan Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)