Stephen Vincent Benet
Campus Sonnets: Return - 1917
'The College will reopen Sept. -.'
I was just aiming at the jagged hole
Torn in the yellow sandbags of their trench,
When something threw me sideways with a wrench,
And the skies seemed to shrivel like a scroll
And disappear . . . and propped against the bole
Of a big elm I lay, and watched the clouds
Float through the blue, deep sky in speckless crowds,
And I was clean again, and young, and whole.
Lord, what a dream that was! And what a doze
Waiting for Bill to come along to class!
I've cut it now - and he - Oh, hello, Fred!
Why, what's the matter? - here - don't be an ass,
Sit down and tell me! - What do you suppose?
I dreamed I . . . am I . . . wounded? 'You are dead.'
Stephen Vincent Benet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Campus Sonnets: Return - 1917 by Stephen Vincent Benet )
- Gumsum Gumsum, Akhtar Jawad
- Workmates?, Over The Moon
- Some way or other, gajanan mishra
- A Piece Of My Love., Philip Mutuku
- I Am Time, Time, Indelible, Indestructib.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)