Stephen Vincent Benet
Campus Sonnets: Return - 1917
'The College will reopen Sept. -.'
I was just aiming at the jagged hole
Torn in the yellow sandbags of their trench,
When something threw me sideways with a wrench,
And the skies seemed to shrivel like a scroll
And disappear . . . and propped against the bole
Of a big elm I lay, and watched the clouds
Float through the blue, deep sky in speckless crowds,
And I was clean again, and young, and whole.
Lord, what a dream that was! And what a doze
Waiting for Bill to come along to class!
I've cut it now - and he - Oh, hello, Fred!
Why, what's the matter? - here - don't be an ass,
Sit down and tell me! - What do you suppose?
I dreamed I . . . am I . . . wounded? 'You are dead.'
Stephen Vincent Benet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Campus Sonnets: Return - 1917 by Stephen Vincent Benet )
- Why does the old one suffer?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The Hymn of Mercy - 17, ramesh rai
- Each Drop of Anger, a Bread Crumb to Hea.., Mr. Nobody
- फुं सोरां बिलियाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Daughter of the Earth - 42, gajanan mishra
- I Always Looked Upon Them With Pity And .., Shalom Freedman
- False, Neela Nath
- A woman is going, gajanan mishra
- Like Opium, michael walkerjohn
- Conscious Love~~~, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)