Camilla The Camel!
Yesterday I bought a camel
And I paid through the nose
And although she's one large mammal,
It's true, her dribble flows...
I hadn't seen her face close-to,
Was told she's known to spit,
So with my camera zoom to view,
I sighed, confirming it!
I couldn't get a refund back,
The seller scarpered fast,
So there I stood, things looking black,
To see his jeep fly past...
I heard him laughing, cash-in-hand,
Content that he'd conned me,
For what I'd bought then couldn't stand
Upon her wonky knee!
Camilla the camel laid down,
Determined not to move,
She looked at me with such a frown,
With nothing left to prove...
I looked at her, then asked the Lord,
For patience by the ton,
Camilla looked at me quite bored,
So nothing could be done...
But then a stranger came along,
Saw us and understood,
Then bought Camilla for a song,
Yeah, he conned me real good...
For from a distance I observed,
Thanks to my camera zoom
And thus the truth I had unearthed,
Which filled my heart with gloom...
Camilla soon stood up again!
Pretending all the while!
Did I imagine it just then?
I swear I saw her smile!
Camilla looked quite spritely now,
No limp, no pain at all...
Camilla, you should take a bow,
At least a curtain call...
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Camilla The Camel! by Denis Martindale )
- Intermisión, Nathalie Handal
- The Single Christmas, Bob Fletcher
- Consolation, Aparna Chatterjee
- Lifeless, Aparna Chatterjee
- The Unnatural Apologie of Shadows, Nathalie Handal
- millions of pleasure...., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- My Dear Sweet Kira, Michael McParland
- The Writing Competition!, Denis Martindale
- Daru Piyo, Talk To The Girl And Do Naxal.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love and Strange Horses—Intima', Nathalie Handal
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)