Calvi In Corsica
An island set in the Mediterranean Sea,
mountainous, green, very pretty.
A jewel coveted by envious eyes:
Frenchmen, Italians, and Moors.
It changed hands from age to age,
and each left imprints upon its visage.
A lighthouse overlooked the harbour,
guided ships and warned of an intruder;
a citadel serenely poised on a cliff top;
fortified, defiant, a haven for its people.
As evening in Calvi drew to an end,
we stood upon this citadel of old
and watched the sun go to its rest;
a fiery disc softly sinking in the West.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Calvi In Corsica by Isam Hussain )
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
- Joan Rivers, Ima Ryma
- First October Twentieth Fourteen, Tony Adah
- تحية طيبة, خليل مردم بك
- Happy Writer, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- هذا وربك مثوى كل إنسان, خليل مردم بك
Poem of the Day
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns