Calvi In Corsica
An island set in the Mediterranean Sea,
mountainous, green, very pretty.
A jewel coveted by envious eyes:
Frenchmen, Italians, and Moors.
It changed hands from age to age,
and each left imprints upon its visage.
A lighthouse overlooked the harbour,
guided ships and warned of an intruder;
a citadel serenely poised on a cliff top;
fortified, defiant, a haven for its people.
As evening in Calvi drew to an end,
we stood upon this citadel of old
and watched the sun go to its rest;
a fiery disc softly sinking in the West.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Calvi In Corsica by Isam Hussain )
- language is not so much anymore, Mandolyn ...
- when i inhaled you, Mandolyn ...
- A Crazy Noisy Bird, Wasim Akram
- ZZ The Many Ways Soldiers Die, Saiom Shriver
- Lately, Dominique Lamboy
- MY WORDS AND HER WORDS كلماتي و كلماتها, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Drawing Inspiration, Tony Adah
- Bumblebees Bibbing, Saiom Shriver
- Tum Muze Kaha Pyar Dete Ho, ravipal bharshankar
- When He's Not Here, Lora Colon