Out of the nothingness of sleep,
The slow dreams of Eternity,
There was a thunder on the deep:
I came, because you called to me.
I broke the Night's primeval bars,
I dared the old abysmal curse,
And flashed through ranks of frightened stars
Suddenly on the universe!
The eternal silences were broken;
Hell became Heaven as I passed. --
What shall I give you as a token,
A sign that we have met, at last?
I'll break and forge the stars anew,
Shatter the heavens with a song;
Immortal in my love for you,
Because I love you, very strong.
Your mouth shall mock the old and wise,
Your laugh shall fill the world with flame,
I'll write upon the shrinking skies
The scarlet splendour of your name,
Till Heaven cracks, and Hell thereunder
Dies in her ultimate mad fire,
And darkness falls, with scornful thunder,
On dreams of men and men's desire.
Then only in the empty spaces,
Death, walking very silently,
Shall fear the glory of our faces
Through all the dark infinity.
So, clothed about with perfect love,
The eternal end shall find us one,
Alone above the Night, above
The dust of the dead gods, alone.
Rupert Brooke's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Call, The by Rupert Brooke )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- I wish to tell you, gajanan mishra
- LOVE....................., BUNMI OROGUN SAMUEL
- My Mind Paints, Kyle Schlicher
- The Black Cat With The Burning Eyes Jump.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- O Chatia Baba, The Lord of The Woods!, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Held You In My Arms, Kyle Schlicher
- i'm tired..., Cherryl Ann Ilustre
- Poetess, Angela Khristin Brown
- In the midst, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Dance, Angela Khristin Brown