An offering for the Lord, they said
My garden full in prime
The rains have blessed the
Gourds and vines
And all this produce MINE.
I’ve given it my best you know
And surely God will cheer
And grant His favour, laud and boast
On what Cain managed here.
My brother watches sheep all day
With little sweat or skill
And when they fatten, plump and white
He leads them to the kill.
A foolish pass-time I conclude
No industry or toil.
And will this be his offering?
It makes a bloke’s blood boil!
Yes Abel you’re a waste
I say, on some old fable’s spin.
That God will only look to blood
To cover mortal sin
To gain an audience in His courts
And sense with joy His smile.
So Brother, sit and think on sheep
As I sweat all the while.
(Hebrews 11: 4)
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cain's Vitriol by Doug Blair )
- অন্ধকার গলিতে একরাতে, Md. Ziaul Haque
- তবুও তোমায় ভালবাসি, Md. Ziaul Haque
- কিছু মধুর স্মৃতি, Md. Ziaul Haque
- মেঘের দেশে কি তুমি এখনও হারাও?, Md. Ziaul Haque
- The haze and mist., David Boyce
- ট্রেনের পরিত্যক্ত বোতল কুড়ানো ছেলেটি, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Conspiracy Theorists, Saiom Shriver
- Let the hands help the eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- বৃদ্ধ বয়স, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Mama's Secret, Martina Moriarty
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- In Flanders Field, John McCrae
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)