An offering for the Lord, they said
My garden full in prime
The rains have blessed the
Gourds and vines
And all this produce MINE.
I’ve given it my best you know
And surely God will cheer
And grant His favour, laud and boast
On what Cain managed here.
My brother watches sheep all day
With little sweat or skill
And when they fatten, plump and white
He leads them to the kill.
A foolish pass-time I conclude
No industry or toil.
And will this be his offering?
It makes a bloke’s blood boil!
Yes Abel you’re a waste
I say, on some old fable’s spin.
That God will only look to blood
To cover mortal sin
To gain an audience in His courts
And sense with joy His smile.
So Brother, sit and think on sheep
As I sweat all the while.
(Hebrews 11: 4)
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cain's Vitriol by Doug Blair )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Character of a Happy Life, Sir Henry Wotton
Poem of the Day
- Broken Not Forgotten, Melissa Furey
- 2 ReaD A LinE Or 2 - Sh# ThaT they $mOkE.., sEaN nOrTh
- The Past, Sari Mavi
- winter clothes, Eric Ericson
- Sonnet11: 'Whose Mistresses These Are? '.., Pijush Biswas
- Deep in vogue, Stephen Brian Brady
- Deep into the Sea, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Save the girls, gajanan mishra
- Awaiting For Spring, Rimni chakravarty
- Light a fire, gajanan mishra