I strike a match
And light those candies all.
Shadows on the wall,
Impressions from the curtains fall.
A soft breeze flows into the room,
Some one rises from the tomb,
Mummified from head to toe.
Gliding leaves sweep to and fro,
Beneath the window and outside my house;
An impulse arouse me to move like a mouse.
Quietly, softly, Tiptoe on my way,
No sleep tonight, I wait vigilantly for the day.
The old graveyard is quite and still at last,
Gone for awhile, the spirits of the past.
I watch the face of time go around,
Each hour a chime rings out a sound.
There is that beat that deafens me,
It is my heart that trolls fast and free.
The flame fades,
So ends the trial.
The dawn has come to stay a while,
So now I rest with a tranquil smile
For night is no friend at all
But, alas, no more shadows on the wall
mai venn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (By Candlelight by mai venn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Robert Louis Stevenson
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland
- A Journey in a Winter Morning, Kumarmani Mahakul
- The Uninvited Guests, Tony Adah
- I Am Not Evil, Michael P. McParland
- Great Black Spectre, Michael P. McParland
- I can not substitute the present for the.., cristobal Benjumea
- I am not responsible for the passed, cristobal Benjumea
- I'm So Sorry, Michael P. McParland
- Avoiding, Michael P. McParland