I strike a match
And light those candies all.
Shadows on the wall,
Impressions from the curtains fall.
A soft breeze flows into the room,
Some one rises from the tomb,
Mummified from head to toe.
Gliding leaves sweep to and fro,
Beneath the window and outside my house;
An impulse arouse me to move like a mouse.
Quietly, softly, Tiptoe on my way,
No sleep tonight, I wait vigilantly for the day.
The old graveyard is quite and still at last,
Gone for awhile, the spirits of the past.
I watch the face of time go around,
Each hour a chime rings out a sound.
There is that beat that deafens me,
It is my heart that trolls fast and free.
The flame fades,
So ends the trial.
The dawn has come to stay a while,
So now I rest with a tranquil smile
For night is no friend at all
But, alas, no more shadows on the wall
mai venn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (By Candlelight by mai venn )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- Cross, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- I Am Something, Human Ego, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A farmer in snow covered field., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- IN LIES! LIES THE WAY TO HELL, Michael P. Johnson
- La-di-da, Bill Galvin
- Labyrinth Of My Dream, Tony Adah
- Balance Your Soul, Lyn Paul
- A Happy and Sad Haiku, Merton Lee
- Plum blossoms, Wenjun Liu
- PH: Echo: Being At Choice, Brian Johnston
- I walked through your woods, Wenjun Liu