I strike a match
And light those candies all.
Shadows on the wall,
Impressions from the curtains fall.
A soft breeze flows into the room,
Some one rises from the tomb,
Mummified from head to toe.
Gliding leaves sweep to and fro,
Beneath the window and outside my house;
An impulse arouse me to move like a mouse.
Quietly, softly, Tiptoe on my way,
No sleep tonight, I wait vigilantly for the day.
The old graveyard is quite and still at last,
Gone for awhile, the spirits of the past.
I watch the face of time go around,
Each hour a chime rings out a sound.
There is that beat that deafens me,
It is my heart that trolls fast and free.
The flame fades,
So ends the trial.
The dawn has come to stay a while,
So now I rest with a tranquil smile
For night is no friend at all
But, alas, no more shadows on the wall
mai venn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (By Candlelight by mai venn )
- The Holy Cross of Jesus Christ, Dr John Celes
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.31, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.30, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.29, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.28, Monk E. Biz
- A profession, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.27, Monk E. Biz
- 'Not mine', Elena Sandu
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.26, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.25, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Udiah (witness to Yah)