I strike a match
And light those candies all.
Shadows on the wall,
Impressions from the curtains fall.
A soft breeze flows into the room,
Some one rises from the tomb,
Mummified from head to toe.
Gliding leaves sweep to and fro,
Beneath the window and outside my house;
An impulse arouse me to move like a mouse.
Quietly, softly, Tiptoe on my way,
No sleep tonight, I wait vigilantly for the day.
The old graveyard is quite and still at last,
Gone for awhile, the spirits of the past.
I watch the face of time go around,
Each hour a chime rings out a sound.
There is that beat that deafens me,
It is my heart that trolls fast and free.
The flame fades,
So ends the trial.
The dawn has come to stay a while,
So now I rest with a tranquil smile
For night is no friend at all
But, alas, no more shadows on the wall
mai venn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (By Candlelight by mai venn )
- The Horse Race., Harold R Hunt Sr
- That's Why I'm Afraid, Neela Nath
- Ex's, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Articulate Through Art, Curtlan Popo
- Classic dances, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The tengrian praying at sunrise, Zamir Osorov
- I Am We, Curtlan Popo
- Authenticity, Diane Hine
- My New Neighbour, Valsa George
- Royals Baseball Poem, Tom Zart
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Different Ways to Pray, Naomi Shihab Nye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)