Jessica D. Hernandez
No longer a caterpillar strolling the streets,
but still a butterfly has not spread it’s wings,
and here I lie, suffocating in this cocoon
When I should fly off and away to fantastical things.
I twist and I turn, as I struggle to break free
I try so hard to break the bonds of this strangling silk
I spun it around me, with no desire to ever come out,
But now like a baby, I must be weaned from my milk.
and the strength is not in me to break these bonds,
these bonds were never meant to be broken at all,
but I am no longer a small caterpillar trapped in a big world,
but I am a big heart, curled up in a cocoon, unable to stand tall.
For if I stand tall, then they will see my heart,
and all that is in it, and so much more,
what if they do not like the color of my wings,
what if they rip them out and toss them to the floor.
Then I’d long to have back my comfortable cocoon
but the silk would’ve already been torn down to shame,
with no building materials capable of erasing the past
I’d sit and I’d cry, and I’d have only myself to blame.
But what if they love the bright contrasts in my wings,
and they found beauty within the way that I fly,
I’d live my whole life perfectly content with myself,
and I’d never have any reason to let out a sigh.
Still I know not how to break away,
the cocoon is strong, but I am weak,
I know not why I once longed to hide alone,
When now it is freeness that I do seek.
Jessica D. Hernandez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Butterfly Transformation by Jessica D. Hernandez )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Truth, Please, Sandra Feldman
- can I be..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- As You Laid There, GJG Elton
- At the market..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Below, Frank Avon
- God's own..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- 2 Fast And The Furious, Mark Harper
- midnight dream, Cee Bea
- know you are there...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- You Are Your Wish, Gbolagade Taiwo