Burying an old Man
As I lower this casket into the ground,
I painfully aware of the lack of people around.
No friends or lovers left to say good bye,
They're just happy to let the old man die.
But here I stand, the only one
I won't leave until the job is done.
They said he had a really lonesome life,
That no one loved him, not even his wife.
That he had doubts at every turn,
All he ever felt was emptiness burn.
But I know that's not true,
Way deep down, he loved too.
But fear and pain, they stripped of his name,
Until the purpose of life he thought was vain.
He always hesitated, always felted baited.
Worried that the world would leave him suffocated.
He couldn't bring himself to trust,
He was afraid his heart would bust.
And that's what I see on this mans grave-stone,
That because of all these things he died a-lone.
The worst part of this whole story you have yet to see,
Because the person that I'm burying is me.
Andrew Hinton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Burying an old Man by Andrew Hinton )
- A Sad Bird, Rohit Sapra
- we are a perfect promenade, Mandolyn ...
- When Love Opened The Door, Lora Colon
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tears of Eyes Speak The Truth, Rohit Sapra
- Goose bumps / song, Mark Heathcote
- The Chameleon, Sir Toby
- A game of Love, Sir Toby
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns