There's another soul crying out to night.
From a husband and wife getting in a fight,
The kids are all in fright.
She's not sure of her future anymore.
Her life's a bore.
She can no longer keep up with all chores.
With four kids pulling at her jeans,
It becomes the same old scene.
She resents him at night when he snores.
He keeps her up all night.
She can't take it anymore.
She stands in front of the mirror wondering where all the years have gone.
Staring at her protruding cheekbones,
Refusing to answer the phone,
Letting out a sad moan,
She doesn't know what to say.
It's the same as every day.
He's drunker than a skunk.
She still has her spunk.
She's getting tired of all the money going for beer and gambling.
While she's scrambling,
To meet ends meet,
Not sure what the children will eat.
Unable to buy diapers,
Her eyes' start tearing as windshield wipers,
She knows one day he'll have to pay the Piper.
She's afraid to leave.
She tearfully grieves.
Wailing her broken heart out,
Sailing through life!
Pretending to be a man's wife,
Knowing that tomorrow will be the same as yesterday, and the day before.
She wails bitterly crying out for more.
Psalm 34: 18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
Psalm 147: 3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Brokenhearted by Patricia Kelley )
- Is The CPI(M) Itself Good And Gentle?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A daily fun!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Ray of Hope, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- National flag., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Examined, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Trance in the rain, Nassy Fesharaki
- Azal se mauzood hoon..., Azhar Sabri
- Time Chases Me, Neela Nath
- Elimination, Hans Raj Sharma
- We have come thru..., bill costley