Brambles Showing Green
Sun beams slanting through the wood
steel sharp cold and cruel
March fighting off the Spring
to lose again as yester-year
but still he tries
his memory worse than mine!
Jack and I keep in the lea
tramp leaves and twigs
remnants of last year
green leaves once and branches.
Around trees lean and creak,
a hundred years from now
shall see the same
that's if I'm here
that's if it could be so.
Brambles showing green,
nettles threaten in the shade,
pine and birch and alder
wave their fists, defy the storm
ferns, brown, dry and waiting,
slumber in the shade.
I lose my hat and whistle Jack
who negotiates a biscuit
runs around the thicket
proudly finds the hat drops it at my feet
on the muddy path!
Who cares says Jack,
you never gave me a hat.
Watched at every move,
tits and finches cease to whistle,
we’re not here long, peace will soon return
the wood will struggle with the wind
hold back its leaves and blue bells
the clock goes back,
tomorrow will be late
but not in my wood,
time infinite as ever.
John Rickell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Brambles Showing Green by John Rickell )
- ! DESECRATED POEMS/FLOATING HYPERLINK IN.., Alice Vedral Rivera
- In the midst of ruin there is reparation, Mark Heathcote
- Psalm XXIII, Henry Ainsworth
- Moral on love., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Dreamcatcher, Kwai Chee Low
- etc, gordon nosworthy
- And they ruined my family, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- Save Me, Fareez Nasir
- Clock back time, hasmukh amathalal
- A memory in a watch, nicholas sardinha
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)