Andrew David Dalby
Here we were, just us bottom knocker's all;
Young, flinted, bevelled steel, still strong.
Oh how glad, how proud, and in such fine fettle;
As we leaned, upon our plumping mawls… long.
For we were ready, throbbing giddy and sweaty;
As the saggar slowly filled his ever blistered frame.
And with no humility the marl we happily shared;
For we dare not fight against the maker s name.
we were a naked witness to the bottles outer hovel;
Its wicket, stained and cracked but resisted fire well.
So with our placer's raised in high position shovelled;
We made our mark…within the clammin we stood.
Oh, our saggers were so tall; they nearly went to fall,
As unfired guns want for more, screamed in battle-cry!
While within, our biscuits pinned, with saddled, spur;
Those thimble few, did safely rest with the interred.
With firemouth's bagged, and battet out and well;
We witnessed the blistering heat start to swell.
Our burnished bodies frenzied bucked and baked.
With toiled rags chopped, we near burst with hate.
Yet deep within our hearts, oh… how our bungs shone;
For they were neither caught taught or made in vain
For we fought the heat with dampers on the crown;
And dared not set a crack against the makers name.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bottom Knockers by Andrew David Dalby )
- A doggerel ounce!, Sreeram Vasudevan
- THE COME BACK., Terry Collett
- The smell that brought back memories, Sneha R.V
- About Me, Sreeram Vasudevan
- Maturity, RAJESH.C BOSE
- Exhausted, Paola Degli Esposti
- Emptiness, michael walkerjohn
- Invisible Love, Kumarmani Mahakul
- When Fishes Flew, Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- Restricted And Limited, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)