Andrew David Dalby
Here we were, just us bottom knocker's all;
Young, flinted, bevelled steel, still strong.
Oh how glad, how proud, and in such fine fettle;
As we leaned, upon our plumping mawls… long.
For we were ready, throbbing giddy and sweaty;
As the saggar slowly filled his ever blistered frame.
And with no humility the marl we happily shared;
For we dare not fight against the maker s name.
we were a naked witness to the bottles outer hovel;
Its wicket, stained and cracked but resisted fire well.
So with our placer's raised in high position shovelled;
We made our mark…within the clammin we stood.
Oh, our saggers were so tall; they nearly went to fall,
As unfired guns want for more, screamed in battle-cry!
While within, our biscuits pinned, with saddled, spur;
Those thimble few, did safely rest with the interred.
With firemouth's bagged, and battet out and well;
We witnessed the blistering heat start to swell.
Our burnished bodies frenzied bucked and baked.
With toiled rags chopped, we near burst with hate.
Yet deep within our hearts, oh… how our bungs shone;
For they were neither caught taught or made in vain
For we fought the heat with dampers on the crown;
And dared not set a crack against the makers name.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bottom Knockers by Andrew David Dalby )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip
- I Lost My Heart A Time Ago, Valerie Dohren