Edna St. Vincent Millay
Hard seeds of hate I planted
That should by now be grown,—
Rough stalks, and from thick stamens
A poisonous pollen blown,
And odors rank, unbreathable,
From dark corollas thrown!
At dawn from my damp garden
I shook the chilly dew;
The thin boughs locked behind me
That sprang to let me through;
The blossoms slept,—I sought a place
Where nothing lovely grew.
And there, when day was breaking,
I knelt and looked around:
The light was near, the silence
Was palpitant with sound;
I drew my hate from out my breast
And thrust it in the ground.
Oh, ye so fiercely tended,
Ye little seeds of hate!
I bent above your growing
Early and noon and late,
Yet are ye drooped and pitiful,—
I cannot rear ye straight!
The sun seeks out my garden,
No nook is left in shade,
No mist nor mold nor mildew
Endures on any blade,
Sweet rain slants under every bough:
Ye falter, and ye fade.
Edna St. Vincent Millay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blight by Edna St. Vincent Millay )
Did you read them?
- Beautiful Soup, Lewis Carroll
- ♦운전면허증위조✙u i - r i＠hotｍａｉㅣ.ｃｏｍ직거래택배✙위 조민.., ueffdhuib dshvikbxc
- Afternoon in School The Last Lesson, David Herbert Lawrence
- The Nature of Sorrow, Karan Patade
- 직거래/택배u i - r i＠hotｍａｉㅣ.ｃｏｍ➵주민증위조✲민증위조✲신.., ueffdhuib dshvikbxc
- 직거래/택배u i - r i＠hotｍａｉㅣ.ｃｏｍ➵주민등록증위조✲위 조면.., ueffdhuib dshvikbxc
- Ms. butterfly, Kenneth Maswabi
- From 'A Severe Lack of Holiday Spirit', Amy Gerstler
- Keep It Simple, hugh everard
- Mental Fixity, Abhinav Baruah
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Lament for Zenocrate, Christopher Marlowe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Blind But Seeing Eye, Eleanor Best
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning