The sun scoured the horizon until the sky bled,
a scarlet strip of grit.
We wandered through a valley
where vacant swings dipped,
stilled in the early evening mist;
the slides were glossed grey,
slick as quicksilver. Our children
played there once.
The blackberry bushes parted
as though you were Moses, I carried
the warm limp of your hand in mine.
There we found twilight.
The fruit perfumed its corridors,
the branches snagged us like desperate talons,
the leaves burned dark,
the shadows of corpses.
The boughs closed in around us,
the drawn drapes after some theatrical parade.
There were so many of them, deep
purple and so fat they could have passed
as plums, bleeding their corpuscles
like a damage, a wound. The long savage
shadows crept upon them to darken
my corners. I remembered myself inwardly.
I lay down in a bed of nettles,
a thorny duvet that stung my skin;
the berries hovered round me like wasps,
the grass was soft. The bushes were archives
housing the swarms of tiny insects that
roused on meshed wings beneath
the crunch of our footfalls.
I could have inhaled them like dust.
Caroline Misner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blackberry Dusk by Caroline Misner )
- All Things Nice, Tania Montgomery
- Love is a Sad and Sorry Chameleon, Hebert Logerie
- Love Thru Poetic Passion, Sandra Feldman
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
- I have forgotten who I am, gajanan mishra
- Love is a liquid ~~~ vs.56, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- HE IS A MAN, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To Someone Special On PoemHunter, Electric Lady
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Francis William Bourdillon
- Cleanliness and Happiness, chandra thiagarajan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)