The fires in her eyes tonight
Call forth the thought that they invite,
Though I remember, long ago
My absence seemed more apropos.
The smile that lingers on her lips
Says more than many verbal slips -
The time when it was somewhat grim
Is in the past and rather dim.
She flayed me once, no, more than twice
She flayed me both with flames and ice
And once again, ironically,
She primes me for catastrophe.
Those curious, nearby, just watch
Her try to cut a deeper notch.
But even they don't seem to know
The depths to which she'd really go.
Upon my face a smile appears
Which hides my thoughts and paints my sneers,
For now I too have learned the rules
From her - she was the best of schools.
Because I'm acting somewhat cool,
Thus pouring on her fires, fuel,
She burns and yearns and wants me more
Than when I was her cuspidor.
She doesn't know I'm not the same,
And plans to play her practiced game.
But when her teardrops start to swell,
Will she be proud she taught me well?
The others leave, I stay behind
(They all know what she has in mind)
And take her in my arms once more
Then slip her past the bedroom door.
She whispers secrets in my ear,
As I once did (she didn't hear):
I listen with a mirthless smile
While thinking of a desert isle.
The night is passed, her trusting grows,
I part before the morning glows.
Aroused, she'll seek a waking thrill
But find instead a dollar bill...
Terry O'Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bitterness by Terry O'Leary )
- বাংলা ভাষায় চন্দ্রবিন্দুর প্রয়োজনীয়তা আছ.., Md. Ziaul Haque
- এইখানে একটা পেয়ারা গাছ ছিল, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Forlorn, my love, no comfort here, Robert Burns
- The Burying Of The Ant, Emmanuel George Cefai
- You will attempt I will test., Emmanuel George Cefai
- The cocks by mid-night Called., Emmanuel George Cefai
- Run of the Ages, Emmanuel George Cefai
- White Freshness, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Round the land, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Bonie Lass of Albany, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Frog and The Nightingale, Vikram Seth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)