Barry A. Lanier
She covets her pocketbooks and has no two alike,
And every month she goes to Belk's to buy a new one.
At 88, she still drives, with her huge sunglasses,
Making right turns like an 18-wheeler does.
She drives an average of 10 miles and hour,
Including stops when she remembers to she does.
Mom loves to attend all the social functions in town,
Especially the showers and weddings of the smitten young.
Armed with her pocketbook she'll sashay over to the buffet,
Fill her pocketbook with treasure, pigs-in-a-blankets,
Watercress and pimiento cheese sandwiches
All of which she'll eat later but she never does.
She always told me she grew up in the depression,
and a responsible mother would never turn down food.
They all harden and calcify like the plaque in her arteries,
Acquiescent to the fact, I empty her pocketbooks weekly.
'Mom, when are you going to quit driving I asked? '
'Oh about the same time that they quit having weddings and luncheons! '
Barry A. Lanier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bewareb(Author Favorite) by Barry A. Lanier )
- All Things Nice, Tania Montgomery
- Love is a Sad and Sorry Chameleon, Hebert Logerie
- Love Thru Poetic Passion, Sandra Feldman
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
- I have forgotten who I am, gajanan mishra
- Love is a liquid ~~~ vs.56, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- HE IS A MAN, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To Someone Special On PoemHunter, Electric Lady
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Francis William Bourdillon
- Cleanliness and Happiness, chandra thiagarajan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)