As thou sittest there
Skerry-bound and fair,
Mountains high around and ocean's deep before thee,
On thee casts her spell
, that shall tell
Once again the wonders of our land.
Honor is thy due,
'Bergen never new,'
Ancient and unaging as thy Holberg's humor;
Once kings sought thine aid,-
Mighty now in trade,-
First to fly the flag of liberty.
Oft in proud array,
As a sunshine-day
Breaks forth from thy rain and fog wind-driven,
Thou didst come with men
Or great deeds again,
When the clouds were darkest o'er our land.
Thy soul was the ground,
Wit-enriched and sound,
Whence there sprang stout thoughts to make our country's harvest,
Whence our arts exist,
In their birth-hour kissed
By thy nature, somber, large, and strong.
In thy mountain-hall
Learned our painter,
Wand'ring on thy strands our poet dreamed,
All thy morning's gold
Greeted on thy bay by all the world.
With thy sea-wide sway
Thou hast might for aye,
Fjords of blue convey thy life-blood through our country.
Norway's spirit thou
Dost with joy endow,-
Great thy past, no less thy future great.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bergen by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Dance Away...., Diana Euyoque
- What I Want From This Crazy Place, Lucy Dowlingbrown
- In Dreams I Prefer To Be, Rohit Sapra
- Treasure Chest Of Our Soul, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where the mind is free, Praveen Gola
- Freedom Of Creativity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- City of Gardens, Akhtar Jawad
- Heart's Timeless Chambers, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- chand aur chehra, rohit kumar choudhary
- Lust, Gianni Pansensoy