Behind The Smile
Behind the smile we look into the eyes of emptiness, from the painted outward picture of joy, on the horizon; there is agony and loneliness Anguish of fearful dentistry looms over humanity.
We smile for the world with pearly white eyes the splendor of joy only lasting for a little while, holding back the fountain of bewildered tears we are propelled into the future turnstile.
Surrounded by demons and angels and foes in fires give their souls to devour and pleasure tangled mattered and broken souls looking for a way to escape temptation power.
Behind the smiles, those tainted blood of sinners Put their request in the mail box for Jesus to forgive and the throne of heaven hears their prayers Crossing the threshold in the darken world they live.
Dormant children have seen the future world Parents can't measure anymore the amount of tragedy hiding behind the smile covered with gold turning hearts cold, and the anguish of fearful dentistry hangs over humanity.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Behind The Smile by Gerry Legister )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Key to My Heart, Whitney Brown
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Merry Christmas Dad, David Boyce
Poem of the Day
- Until Next Time, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Unity and strength., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- That shall keep, hasmukh amathalal
- Change the scene, hasmukh amathalal
- To Whom It May Concern, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Unsuitable, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney
- Not a Real Poem 2, Kim Barney
- A Christmas with Simplicity, Akhtar Jawad