Into the furnace let me go alone;
Stay you without in terror of the heat.
I will go naked in--for thus ''tis sweet--
Into the weird depths of the hottest zone.
I will not quiver in the frailest bone,
You will not note a flicker of defeat;
My heart shall tremble not its fate to meet,
My mouth give utterance to any moan.
The yawning oven spits forth fiery spears;
Red aspish tongues shout wordlessly my name.
Desire destroys, consumes my mortal fears,
Transforming me into a shape of flame.
I will come out, back to your world of tears,
A stronger soul within a finer frame.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Baptism by Claude McKay )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Madhubala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
Poem of the Day
- Besten Dank für den Gruss, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Birthday poem, Wala' Qamhieh
- If you want to be my inspirer, Elius Rubby
- Being in love, Sahra Hussein
- Walk On!, Shweta Nair
- My Father, Sahra Hussein
- Crime against humanity (a prose poem), paul bamberger
- Serenity Later Prayer, Joseph DeMarco
- starlings display team, lee fones
- Extinction is Forever, Joseph DeMarco